1. Some people think the function of university education is to prepare students for employment, but others believe university education can offer many other functions. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
2. The best way for a country to prepare for the future is to invest more resources in its young people. To what extent do you agree or disagree? In what ways should the country invest in young people?
3. Some people think that museums and art galleries should concentrate on the works of their own countries instead of the works of art from other parts of the world. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
4. Some people believe that governments should make investment in building public libraries in every town, while others think it is a waste of money because we have access to information via Internet. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
5. some people argue that job satisfaction is more important than job security. Other people think one should have a permanent job. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
6. Some people think the technology makes life complex, so we should make the life simpler without using the technology. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
7. In some countries old people are highly valued, while in some cultures young people are highly valued. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
8. Scientists believe computers will become more intelligent than human beings. Some people think this development will have positive impacts. To what extent do you agree or disagree？
9. The increase in food production owes much to fertilizers and better machinery, but some people think that it has a negative impact on human health and community. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
10. Some people think that introducing new technology can improve people's quality of life in the developing countries. However, others believe that free education should be offered. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
11. Some people believe that some unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school programs （e.g. working in a charity, improving the relationship of neighborhood or teaching sports to children） To what extent do you agree or disagree?
12. Some people think that advertising discourage us from being different individuals, as all people want to do the same and look the same. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
13. Some people think that the government should offer financial support and care to old people, while others think that people should save money for their future life. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
14. Some people think that older school children should learn a wide range of subjects to acquire more knowledge, while other people believe they should learn a small number of subjects in details. Discuss both views and give your opinions.
15. Nowadays some individuals behave in an anti-society way, such as committing a crime. In general, it is the society to blame. What causes the anti-social behaviors of individuals? Who should be responsible for dealing with it?
16. Films and computer games containing violence are popular. Some people say they have negative effects on society and should be banned. Others say they are just harmless relaxation. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
17. Some people think that using mobile phones and computers has a negative effect on young people's reading and writing skills. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
18. Pollution and other environmental problems are resulting from a country's developing and becoming richer. Some think this cannot be avoided. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
19. Some people think that the amount of noise people make should be controlled strictly, while others say that people are free to make as much noise as they wish. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
20. Human activities have negative effects on plants and animal species. Some people think that it is too late to do anything about this problem. Other people believe that effective measures can be taken to improve this situation. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Task one: map; bar chart; line chart