1. Many people believe that scientific research should be carried out and controlled by the government rather than private companies. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
2. In modern society it is possible to go shopping, work and communicate via the internet without face-to-face contact with others. Is it positive or negative?
3. It has been noticed that recent young people are spending their leisure period in shopping centers but not engaging themselves in other activities such as sport or music. Do you think it is a positive or negative development?
4. Some people think that children’s success in adult life depends on the way their parents brought up them. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
5. Some people say art (music, paintings, poetry etc.) can be created by any human being, while others believe that only people born with special abilities can create art. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
6. Many people think that cheap air travel should be encouraged because it gives ordinary people freedom to travel further. However, others think this leads to environmental problems, so air travel should be more expensive in order to discourage people from having it. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
7. Individual greed and selfishness have been the basis of the modern society. Some people think that we must return to the older and more traditional values of respect for the family and the local community in order to create a better world to live in. to what extent do you agree or disagree?
8. Some people think that robots are very important for humans’ future development. Others, however, think that robots are a dangerous invention that could have negative effects on society. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
9. Too much money has been spent on looking after and repairing old buildings. Therefore, we should knock down old buildings and build modern ones instead. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
10. Films and computer games containing violence are popular. Some people say they have negative impacts on society and should be banned, while others say they are just harmless relaxation. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.
11. In the past, buildings often reflected the culture of a society but today all modern buildings look alike and cities throughout the world are becoming more and more similar. Why is it the case? Is it a good thing or bad thing?
12. The best way to understand other culture is to work in a multinational organization. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
13. Some people choose to eat no meat or fish. They believe that this is not only better for their own health but also benefits the world as a whole. What is your own opinion?
14. In some countries, a high proportion of criminal acts are committed by teenagers. Why is it the case? What can be done to deal with this?
15. The development of technology has causes environmental problems. So, some people think people should choose a simpler way of life, while others think we should use technology to solve these problems. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
16. It is better for people to be unemployed rather than to be employed with a job they do not enjoy. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
17. People can live and work anywhere they want to choose because of improved communication technology and transport. Do the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
18. Researches show that overeating is as harmful as smoking. Therefore, the advertisements of food products should be banned in the same way as the cigarettes advertising is banned in many countries. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
19. Some people think that the government should not spend money on building theatres and sports stadiums. Instead, it should spend more money on medical care and education. Do you agree or disagree?
20. The workplace nowadays is trying to employ the equal number of females and males. Do you think it is a positive or negative development?